Sunday, November 9, 2008



"What do you think? There was a man who had two sons. He went to the first and said, 'Son, go and work today in the vineyard.' " 'I will not,' he answered, but later he changed his mind and went. "Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered, 'I will, sir,' but he did not go. "Which of the two did what his father wanted? "The first," they answered. Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you. For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him. (Matthew 21: 28-32)

Jesus is speaking with the Chief Priests and Elders at the Jerusalem Temple.

I can imagine standing nearby wincing at these words.

Unlike the Chief Priests and Elders, I might have recognized the value of Jesus' teaching. I have always identified with Joseph of Arimathea.

Out of this sympathy, I would have urged Jesus to deference and care in his language.

I would have cautioned Jesus to not allow his passion to interfere with how others might hear him.

I would have deserved the rebuke to Peter, "Get behind me Satan."

Prostitutes and tax collectors come to Jesus sure of their sin and entirely dependent on grace. I come with mixed feelings and still seeking to self-justify.

Above is Christ Cleansing the Temple by Rembrandt. The first question above - tis dokeo or what do you think - deserves an extended meditation. In tone and approach Jesus is consistently rational - even empirical - in his approach. He does not dictate. Rather he tells stories and asks others for their perceptions of meaning. Even here, in one of his sharpest encounters, he is seeking to open others to new insights through their own intellectual effort.

No comments: