Wednesday, October 29, 2008

He said to them, "Therefore every teacher of the law who has been instructed about the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old." (Matthew 13: 52)

Have we now been instructed about the kingdom of heaven?

I do not have the depth of knowledge that a teacher of the law would need.

But even with such limited instruction I certainly perceive both new and old.

It is an old understanding that the kingdom of heaven is still to come. It is well-known that with its coming the good and bad will be distinguished.

It is not as well-known - even perpetually new - that the reign of God is already present, emerging as you read this, and a cause for reconciling every opposite.

Dear God may I perceive your pearls, your hidden treasures, your yeast, and your seeds.

May I do my part to mix the yeast, spread the seeds, and harvest the field with care and creativity.

No comments: