Monday, December 8, 2008

To another he said, ‘Follow me.’ But he said, ‘Lord, first let me go and bury my father.’ But Jesus said to him, ‘Let the dead bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God.’ Another said, ‘I will follow you, Lord; but let me first say farewell to those at my home.’ Jesus said to him, ‘No one who puts a hand to the plough and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.’ (Luke 9:59-62)

I wonder how the two prospective followers responded?

We often - I often - seek a balanced life. How do I best combine creative work, family, community, and private pleasures?

Jesus advocates a radically unbalanced commitment to God's intention. "Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven."

There is plenty of evidence that God's intention usually involves being in relationship, caring for and loving one another.

But there are also moments when God seeks our undivided attention. May we watch and listen to perceive rightly.

No comments: