Thursday, December 25, 2008

You are those who have stood by me in my trials. And I confer on you a kingdom, just as my Father conferred one on me, so that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom and sit on thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. (Luke 22: 28-30)

On Christmas day this reading reminds us of the trials, death, and resurrection of Jesus.

It has been my practice to reflect only on references to the "kingdom of God." But on the eve of his crucifixion Jesus speaks of "my" kingdom.

Even more amazing he speaks of our kingdom. Just as God conferred a kingdom on Jesus, Jesus grants a kingdom to us.

The word translated as confer is diatithemai. Literally this is a bending down to arrange or a putting aside for later.

As a mother bends down to arrange her baby's blanket, so does God - through Jesus - bend down to us.

No comments: